Monday, May 30, 2005

Imperial Walker


walker
Originally uploaded by Daily Assumption.

Saturday was busy at the Bizarre Market trying to make some money. After the rain stopped and the crowd finally showed up I was excited at the possiblity of people buying some work and making me feel good about working so hard all week on these things.

So I sold two copies of mugsy's volume 1 and 2 and One drawing(unframed for 7 bucks) so I almost broke even.

Now I have 15 drawings in frames and about 25 copies of Mugsy's 1 and 2 left for sellin?

Oh, the assumption. I guess assume that they really did want to buy the work. Don't feel bad that they looked for 20 minutes and walked away. Assume that the work is still interested no matter if they weren't the right people for it.

Perhaps it is the venue. Perhaps the "cool kids" don't spend their money on art, they buy discount shoes, poorly printed T-shirts, or broken toys. Maybe I should have lowered my price but I have some standards. hell 20 bucks for a 8x10 drawing in a frame with mat isn't bad at all. Right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I missed this weekend's market. Drag.

I doubt that the average consumer goes there willing to spend more than $10. More likely their budget is around $5.

I set up once to sell some nice rubbers stamps for $3 - $4 a pop. I baked in the sun all day and made a little money, but overall the event is not dragging me back in - yet.

Best thing is seeing people, interacting, and hanging out.

Bizarre Market needs to siphon people outside of the regular community of folks that vend and show up... then, there will be an influx of cash, eyeballs, and interaction.

Maybe next time, have a range of priced items.

Bizarre Market is completely open-ended... and that's what makes it great. You could go there selling mystery grab bags... charge people to look at your book... read fortunes... face paint... or be any form of art idea.

In the end, is 6 hours sitting around at the market worthwhile for the idea?

If you ever want to brainstorm/converse around this stuff (and beyond), let me know.

--

One idea, is to share vendor responsibilities with 2 or 3 people... maybe even be extreme and break it up into 30 minute shifts.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

PS - I will buy or trade some of your sellin' work.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home